The Blue Planet Project endorses this call for solidarity from the International Campaign for Justice in Bhopal
The International Campaign for Justice in Bhopal (ICJB) invites messages/actions of solidarity for the soon-to-be 30 year struggle for justice in Bhopal, India.
ICJB is a coalition of disaster survivors’ groups, environmental and social justice groups led by five Bhopal-based survivor/support groups. We are dedicated to holding the Indian Government and the Dow Chemical Company accountable for the ongoing chemical disaster in Bhopal, India. Our commitment to ensuring justice in Bhopal is a commitment to a toxic-free future for all.
It will soon be three decades since the people of Bhopal were exposed to 40 tons of methyl isocyanate and other undisclosed chemical gases due to the negligence of the American-owned Union Carbide Corporation, which is now owned by the Dow Chemical Company. The disaster, which has claimed over 25,000 lives to date, currently affects over 500,000 people. Chronic health problems stemming from initial exposure and widespread soil/groundwater contamination continue to plague survivors. Moreover, the inter-generational impact of the toxins has resulted in higher rates of developmental disabilities and congenital malformations amongst the children of gas-affected and contaminated water-affected persons. Despite this, survivors –and particularly women-activists– have continued their fight for justice for almost 30 years.
The Bhopal gas disaster, as well as the slew of chemical disasters impacting communities around the world, reminds us of the need for people-power to hold corporate-power accountable. We invite individuals and groups to join us in solidarity with this soon-to-be 30 year struggle.
A few ways you can show your solidarity:
- Bhopali survivor-activists will soon embark on a worldwide tour to discuss the Bhopal gas disaster and their ongoing struggle for justice. Please contact us if you are interested in having this tour visit your city.
- Invite activists from ICJB India, ICJB North America or ICJB U.K. to engage your group/community.
- Screen Bhopali, a multiple award-winning documentary by Van Maximilian Carlson. To view the trailer, please click here.
- Send us a public message of solidarity.
- If you are an educator, incorporate the Bhopal gas disaster in your teaching. We are happy to provide you with a reading list, lesson plans and other resource materials.
- Host an exhibition by world-renowned photographer, Raghu Rai. Rai captured the days following the disaster and the ongoing tragedy in later years. A selection of his images can be found here.
- Organize other solidarity actions, such as peaceful protests outside your local Indian embassy/Dow office.
If you are interested in getting involved, have other solidarity ideas that cater more to your organizational needs or want more information, please get in touch. We are happy to help you in planning, organizing and executing any of the actions you may want to be involved in.
For more information, please contact:
The International Campaign for Justice in Bhopal, North America